St. Peter’s Health offers parents FREE classes taught by a variety of specialists and professionals to help parents with all preparations, expectations and details surrounding a new baby. All the classes are offered to parents and their partners (please no kids).
- Classes are free
- Registration is required for some classes
Registration is required for all classes and most classes will be held virtually. Unable to make the classes? Individual appointments are available with most specialists. Contact numbers for class leaders and specialists are provided below so you can schedule an individual appointment. Please note that insurance/co-payments may apply to services for individual appointments.
Emmi programs are web-based presentations that take complex medical information and make it easy for you and your family to understand. You can view these programs online for free and share them with your friends and family.
The 21 Emmi programs that are available cover a wide range of topics, including the classes listed below, and offer a great alternative to in-person learning.Emmi Programs
Prepared Parenting Class Schedule
Due to visitor restrictions currently in place, St. Peter's is offering a limited number of classes via live stream. Please see the individual class lists below for details. Instructions/links with the live-stream information for each class will be emailed once registration is complete.
Women and Children’s Unit Tour
The video below introduces the Women’s and Children’s Unit, along with labor and delivery rooms, and answers some common questions. Please call the WAC unit at 406-444-2208 for more information.
This class is currently on hold, but can be supplemented with the Heartsaver/First Aid HeartCode course that includes certification, which has an associated cost and requires online pre-work before a skills demonstration that occurs the first Thursday of each month from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm.
View and register for Infant CPR classes through our events page
Childbirth Education - Thursdays from 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
This two-part virtual class is taught by St. Peter’s obstetrics nurses and covers a variety of labor topics including signs and symptoms of labor, breathing and relaxation skills, pain management options, the coach’s role during labor and C-sections. Part 1 of the class includes pre-recorded virtual content sent upon registration for the class, to be viewed at your convenience. Part 2 is a live-stream, virtual Q & A session hosted on the following dates.
- December 16 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4662
- January 20, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4884
- February 17, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4886
- March 17, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4888
- April 21, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4889
- May 19, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4891
- June 16, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4892
- July 21, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4893
- August 18, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4894
- September 15, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4895
- October 20, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4896
- November 17, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4897
- December 15, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4898
Breastfeeding Basics - Tuesdays from 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM
This class is led by a St. Peter’s Family Nurse Practitioner and Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). The lactation consultant discusses the benefits of breast milk, the anatomy and physiology of lactation, the elements that promote successful feedings, determining adequate milk intake and how to return to work while breastfeeding. A link to the pre-recorded module will be sent upon registration for the class, to be viewed at your convenience. The class leader will then host a Q & A session on the following dates.
- February 8, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4818
- May 17, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4819
- September 27, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4820
- November 15, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4821
Unable to attend? Contact Melissa Zimmerman, FNP, IBCLC by calling 406-457-4180 to schedule an individual appointment.
Postpartum Recovery - Wednesdays from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM
Join a Women’s Health Physical Therapist and a Maternal Mental Health Specialist for a 2-hour virtual class to discuss useful tips and education to remedy discomforts and guard against pain and dysfunction during and after pregnancy and also prepare for any perinatal mood or anxiety disorders such as postpartum depression.
- January 26, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4783
- April 27, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4784
- July 27, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4785
- October 26, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4786
Child Car Seat Safety - Wednesdays from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM
This 2-hour virtual class is led by a certified child passenger safety technician and helps parents learn the basics of choosing the right seat for your child and your budget; proper seat installation and positioning, angle and how to secure; and appropriately fitting your child to the seat. Child car seat installation can be scheduled individually with an instructor as installation is not part of the class.
- February 9, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4801
- May 11, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4802
- August 10, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4803
- November 9, 2022 https://events.sphealth.org/events/4804