At St. Peter’s Health, we take all cancer seriously, but even more so when it is preventable: Colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer-related death in Montana for both men and women. Yet, Montana is near the bottom of the nation for rates of colonoscopies.
St. Peter’s Approach to Colon Cancer Treatment
Our goal is to dramatically reduce colon cancer deaths in Montana.
We plan to do this by:
- Increasing the number of Montanans who receive a colon cancer screening—either by colonoscopy or a fecal occult blood test.
- Providing access to a colorectal surgeon here in Helena.
In 2018 we opened an expanded endoscopy suite. The new suite increases the community’s access to lifesaving colon cancer screenings and reduces wait times.
When colon cancer is caught early, it is easier to treat—and easier to survive.
Colon Cancer Programs and Services
- Cancer Care
- Colon Cancer Screening
- Colorectal Surgery
- KRAS Testing
- Medical Oncology
Quality Colon Cancer Care at St. Peter’s
- Patient satisfaction: When you’re at the Cancer Treatment Center for cancer care, you’re part of our family. We’re proud to say our patient satisfaction rates reflect that feeling: Our patient satisfaction scores are regularly in the 99th percentile.
- Patient navigator: You will have a free, dedicated nurse navigator who coordinates all of your testing and treatments. Your nurse navigator will make sure you understand all aspects of your medical care, and help you get any additional emotional or mental support you need.
- Larger endoscopy suite: Our new endoscopy suite includes a 10-bay admission and recovery area. It also has five new dedicated endoscopy exam rooms.
- Colorectal surgeon access: Through our colorectal surgeon, Dr. Emily Bubbers, patients can get in for a colonoscopy faster. If colorectal cancer is found, Dr. Bubbers provides specialized colorectal surgery, including colon resection and colostomy.
- KRAS testing: Our cancer care team will talk to you about whether you would benefit from KRAS mutation testing. With the KRAS test, you and your doctor will have a better understanding of how effective chemotherapy drugs will be for your cancer, depending on whether you have the KRAS gene mutation.
- Ostomy care: For patients who require a colostomy following cancer surgery, our certified ostomy nurse will help you prepare for living with an ostomy and with your after surgery care.
Location(s) of Colon Cancer Services Services
St. Peter's Health Cancer Care
East Entrance - Maria Dean Building
Helena, MT 59601