This is a great meal by itself, or over a bed of whole grains such as brown rice or quinoa. This recipe makes plenty of servings, so freeze whatever you don’t eat for a quick meal later in the week.
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped red peppers
- 3 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cloves minced garlic (to make easier buy in a jar)
- 2 15-ounce cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Salt substitute (potassium chloride) and black pepper to taste
- In a large pot, saute the onions and peppers over medium heat for about five minutes, or until softened. Add water 1-2 tablespoons at a time to prevent sticking.
- Add in chili powder, oregano, cumin and garlic. Cook for about one minute.
- Add beans, tomatoes and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt substitute and pepper.
Modified From Forks Over Knives.