Here is a tasty low-calorie granola substitute that is virtually fat-free and great for breakfast!
- 2 cups of Medjool dates with 2 cups of water, pureed in a blender until very smooth. It works best if the water is boiling.
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 8 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups chopped dried apples
- Combine the pureed dates, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt substitute in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once the mixture is boiling, add in rolled oats and stir well.
- Cook for an additional five minutes. The mixture should thicken and the oats should brown.
- Remove the pot from heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Add the chopped apples and stir well.
Store in an airtight container for up to seven days.
Modified from "The China Study Cookbook."