Full of protein and fiber, easy to make and tastes fantastic – what’s not to love?
- 9 ounces whole grain pasta
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup water
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup plus one tablespoon sugar-free barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt substitute
- Black pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta per the package instructions.
- In a separate small bowl, combine all the seasoning ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the onions over medium heat for 7-9 minutes, adding 1-2 tablespoons of water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Once soft, add the minced garlic and saute for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the cup of water, tomatoes, barbeque sauce and nutritional yeast. Increase heat to cause liquid to boil, then low heat to a simmer.
- Add seasoning and mix well. Simmer on low for 4 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta and chickpeas, mix well and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit an additional 4-5 minutes.
Modified from the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies.