This simple recipe is full of fiber, anti-inflammatory compounds and flavor. Plus it's extremely simple! To make it even easier, buy your mushrooms sliced and your garlic already minced.
- 1-2 tablespoons of water
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced (sliced button mushrooms will also do)
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Salt substitute and pepper to taste
- Set your Instant Pot to the sauté function and add the water.
- Once the water starts to bubble, add the shallots, garlic and sliced mushrooms and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and barley and seal the lid. Set the Instant Pot to 22 minutes on high.
- Once the timer is complete, allow the pressure to reduce naturally for about 15 minutes.
- Carefully open the valve to release the remaining pressure.
- Season with more salt and pepper, if needed and serve garnished with fresh parsley or red pepper flakes.
Modified from The Healthy Kitchen.