Great to make ahead so you can have a healthy breakfast on the go. Recipe yields 12 bars.
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt substitute or sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1/2 cup natural unsweetened peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine applesauce, soy milk, peanut butter, maple syrup and vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour the batter into a non-stick 9x13 baking dish (or one lined with parchment paper). Bake for about 25 minutes. A toothpick should be able to be placed and come out clean.
- Let cool for 20-30 minutes. Cut into 2x3 inch squares. Store in airtight containers for up to 5 days.
Modified from "The China Study Cookbook" by Del Sroufe.