This is a simple recipe full of protein, fiber and antioxidants. And it tastes great! The perfect staple for lunch or dinner throughout the year.
- 1 ½ cups quinoa, rinsed
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 large yellow or red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of dried basil
- 1 15-ounce can of navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Salt substitute and black pepper to taste
- Combine the quinoa and vegetable stock in a medium pot. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium. Cook for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Saute the diced onion in a skillet for about 8 minutes. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water as needed to keep the onions from sticking (usually will need to add the water several times).
- Add in the garlic, tomatoes, basil and navy beans. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the cooked quinoa, lemon juice, salt substitute and pepper to taste, then cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Modified from “The China Study Quick and Easy Cookbook” by Del Sroufe.