A healthy take on refried beans with no added fat. Yields four servings.
- 2 15-ounce cans of cannellini beans (or pinto beans)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium skillet, saute the onion with a small amount of water until soft. Use water to keep the onion from sticking to the pan.
- Rinse the beans and heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Mash the beans into a creamy paste with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the spices and mix well.
- Add the onion and mix well.
Modified from NutritionFacts.org.