Aquatic Therapy is an effective treatment option for a wide range of conditions including arthritis, joint pain, muscle stiffness, post-surgical conditions, balance deficits, and those with neurological conditions. Almost any exercise that can be performed on land can be replicated in the water, with several unique advantages explained below.
Benefits of Aquatic Therapy include:
- Buoyancy provides support for weak limbs, enhances flexibility, range of motion, and circulation and allows increased ease of movement.
- Decrease of compressive forces and connective tissue stress.
- Buoyancy combined with hydrostatic pressure provides support for walking and standing activities, allowing for slower, more controlled movements.
- In the water you may experience increased reaction time, less effort than required on land, as well as decreased risk and fear of falling.
- Resistance of water can be used to improve muscle strength, tone, muscular balance, cardiovascular fitness, and overall function.
St Peter’s Health aquatic therapy is provided at Capital City Health Club in a heated pool, with bench and current pool. Skilled physical therapy staff work one-on-one or in groups, and eventually help you progress to community-based programs. The pool is equipped with stairs, as well as a lift providing easy access. Water depth is from 3.5 to 4.5 ft to allow the therapist to control weight bearing forces and to choose the appropriate water level to optimize the patient’s rehabilitation. Physical Therapists at St. Peter’s Health are trained in various techniques including BadRagaz, AiChi, AquaStretch, and Watsu. Ask your physician for a referral and empower yourself to take control of your health.
Location(s) of Aquatic Therapy Services
St. Peter’s Health Physical Therapy and Sports Rehabilitation at Capital City Health Club
1280 North Montana Avenue
Helena, MT 59601