Muffins and banana bread are great baked goods to share with others, but they usually contain refined white flour, butter and milk chocolate chips. Making some small swaps – such as whole wheat flour instead of white flour, plant-based oil instead of butter, and dark chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate chips – are some easy ways to make these baked goods much healthier. The dark chocolate adds a boost of antioxidants and the flax meal adds a punch of fiber and omega-3s as well!
This recipe is great to make ahead and have for breakfast on the go!
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 2/3 cup milk or plant-based alternative
- 1/3 cup oil* (avocado or canola oil works well)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup sugar*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup ground flaxseed or flax meal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a large bowl, mix to combine bananas, milk, oil, eggs, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon
- In a small bowl, mix to combine flour, flax, baking soda and salt
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix to combine
- Spoon mix into greased or lined muffin tins
- Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes
¼ cup of sugar and 1/3 cup of oil can be omitted and replaced with 1/3 cup of applesauce. Use applesauce with no added sugar to further reduce sugar content.